Fern Nichols loves to pray and remembers going to Wednesday night prayer meetings as a little girl, sitting next to her mother with her legs dangling over the edge of the pew. As she listened to the prayers of the saints, her heart was filled with peace and security.
In 1984, when Fern was fearful about sending her two eldest children off to junior high, she followed her mother’s example and turned to prayer. She asked God to bring her another mom with whom she could pray for their children and school. God answered her prayer and the first Moms in Prayer group was born. Since then the ministry has grown to moms praying in every state in the USA and in more than
“Moms in Prayer International is a simple ministry,” says Fern, “encouraging moms to get together on a regular basis and pray for their children and schools, believing that through prayer God releases His power.”
Fern Nichols has shared the ministry at such large events as Revive Our Hearts, the MOPS convention and Hearts at Home, and is frequently featured in the media, having been on Focus on the Family and Dr. Dobson’s Family Talk radio broadcasts on several occasions and Family Life Today with Dennis Rainey.
Fern holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Education and taught elementary school. She has authored/co-authored these books:
• The Moms in Prayer International Booklet describes how to start and lead a group.
• When Moms Pray Together: True Stories of God’s Power to Transform Your Child includes 25 testimonies of answered prayer that will build your faith.
• Igniting a Passion to Pray is a six-week Bible study that cultivates a more intimate, loving relationship with God as women become confident pray-ers and comfortable praying with others.
• Moms in Prayer: Standing in the Gap for Your Children (formerly titled Every Child Needs a Praying Mom
—a Silver Medallion winner) shares insight into the power of prayer for children and the impact of the legacy
of prayer on future generations.
• Mom’s Little Book of Powerful Prayers shares 190 topical prayers to pray for your child and gives hope that our Heavenly Father hears and answers your prayers (released in March 2014.)
Fern and her husband, Rle were involved with Campus Crusade for Christ (now CRU) for 15 years. They have four children: Tyrone, Troy, Travis and Trisha, three daughters-in-love, Patti, Bonnie and Tara, a son-in-love, Chris, and ten grandchildren.